The Society was formed in 1987 by a small group of admirers of the Whitfield voice. With the formation of the Society, many of David’s past fans have come together with the aim of keeping alive the name and music of David Whitfield. We are delighted to have well known names from show business as honorary members, and these are headed by our Patron, the world-renowned Dame Vera Lynn DBE, LLD, M.MUS.
The Society has achieved many things over the last few years, notably:
- The publication of a book, Cara Mia, The David Whitfield Story, about David’s life.
- A rose named after David, 100 of which are planted in a rose garden dedicated to him, in his home city of Hull.
- A star in the heavens has been named ‘David Whitfield’.
- A portrait of David attached to a 1st class Royal Mail stamp.
- The ambitious project to erect a lif-size statue, cast in bronze, has now been completed. It has been erected in the gardens in Kingston Square, opposite the main entrance to the Hull New Theatre, a venue where David often performed.
The Society publishes three magazines a year, and these are full of interesting material and facts about David. In addition to this there is an annual general meeting and get-together, held in October, when David’s fans travel from all parts of the UK and gather in Beverley, near Hull, to meet old friends and, no doubt, swap stories about their hero.
Incorporated within the society there is the David Whitfield Baby Fund where baby clothes and vital equipment are provided to maternity units throughout the country.
A museum, which has been featured on several television programmes over the years, was established and officially opened by David’s widow, Sheila, and is full of photographs, theatre billings and several of David’s personal effects. Housed within the museum are copies of ALL of David’s recordings, the vast majority of which are now transferred on to CD.
Visits to the museum are free of charge, but arrangements should be made beforehand with the curator, Mr Bill Wilkins. Contact details are available on our Contacts page.
Membership of the David Whitfield International Appreciation Society is available at a modest £10.00 per year, surely excellent value for money. Click this link to bring up a Membership Application Form. Once completed the form should be sent to Mrs Wendy Warcup at 35 Melton Old Road, Melton, North Ferriby, East Yorkshire, HU14 3HP.
We look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you to the Society. And thank you for visiting this site and taking the time to read about the David Whitfield International Appreciation Society.